Implementation of Stage Two of Knight Review Recommendations
The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) announced the dates for implementation of the second stage of Knight Review recommendations earlier this week.
Work Rights change implementing this month .
- the current work restriction of 20 hours per week for all Student visa holders will change to 40 hours per fortnight (from 26 March 2012);
- Postgraduate Research (subclass 500) visa holders will no longer be limited in the number of hours that they can work once their course has commenced (from 26 March 2012);
- the maximum period of English language study for Schools Sector (subclass 500) visa holders subject to Assessment Level (AL) 3 and above will be increase to 50 weeks;
- Student Guardian (subclass 590) visa holders will be able to undertake ELICOS study on a part-time basis (less than 20 hours per week) for the duration of their visa; and
- the English language requirement for Schools Sector (subclass 500) visa applicants subject to Assessment Level (AL) 3, and the associated waiver for applicants from China, will be removed.
The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship released a media release on the changes yesterday, see: www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/cb/2012/cb184479.htm
For more information on the changes, please visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s website at: www.immi.gov.au/students/knight/<